Sunday, March 15, 2009

Belated Birthaday Munchies


Well another year has come and gone. The anniversary of the day of my birth was actually the 9th but, I had to work late so we decided to celebrate today.
The plan was, I thought, ribeyes on the grill, fresh asparagus with hollandaise sauce and baked potato with all the fixin's set off with a nice Casa Lapostolle Cabernet Sauvignon.
We had actually made the run to acquire aforementioned accoutrements and had in fact purchased them and loaded them in the 4-wheeled mode of transport when the lovely bride said that we had to make a run to Whole Paycheck...er Foods.
We browsed, we purchased the odds, the ends, fruits and stuff mainly and departed for the abode.
Around 7:30 I was summarily dismissed from the living quarters to the boudoir. I figured that lovely bride or MIL had snuck out to the store to buy a birthday cake and they wanted to "surprise" me when I exited the boudoir.
Instead I walked out to a munchie repast fit for a king (or at least some member of the ruling family).
The spread laid out before me was magnificent and I shall itemize here for YOUR benefit. After all you may want to partake yourself sometime....the lovely bride refuses to show the aftermath of the feeding frenzy so you will have to content yourself with the before.
Cheeses
1.) Doux De Montagne Brebis Pyrenees
2.) Vintage Dubliner aged 24 months
3.) Capricho De Cabra Peppered (goat cheese)
4.) Parmigiano Reggiano (best parm EVER)
5.) 365 organic Cream Cheese

Crackers (wafer thin)
1.) 34 degree Cracked Pepper Crispbread
2.) 34 degree Rosemary Crispbread

Salmon
Wild Caught and smoked in house

Wine
A very nice Baron Phillippe De Rothschild Pinot Noir

Background music
Bruce Becvar Time Dreams (highly recommended)

I was amazed at the different nuances in the wine that each cheese brought out...I am definitely turning into one of THEM.
My favorite was the Doux De Montagne Brebis Pyrenees followed by the goat cheese on a peppered cracker topped with salmon....
Oh SH*T i have to stop now before I get the urge to run out and buy a smoking jacket or start wearing an ascot.

Notice the placecards identifying each cheese.
Pooh (MIL) did the flowers with her own 2 little hands...for me... I knew I was special (and not in the short bus kind of way)
It was REALLY good...
Thanks baby.
We decided to do steak tomorrow....yea!

1 comment:

  1. What a lurvely birthday treat. I'm beginning to think that we might be related.

    ReplyDelete