Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I've become one of them!!

I stopped today on the way home from work to pick up a few essentials for the abode. One of them, the very nectar of life, coffee. I have always been a coffee drinker. I was in retail long enough that if it's a black liquid that smells vaguely of caffeine I need some. I can drink it all day long and still fall into a deep slumber without to much effort. In fact I've been accused of having narcolepsy on more than one occasion.
Anyway, I make my stop at the local food purveyor and head to the coffee aisle. And I realize that no longer do I walk around to the canned or freeze dried coffees. Instead I now head for the whole bean coffees. And no longer do I even glance at my first whole bean love (8 O'clock Coffee) but instead I find myself over at "the good stuff".
I find myself having an internal dialogue about the relative merits of Kenya vs Sumatra, about Seattle's Best vs New England's Best and I actually wonder if it might be nice to try a nice Kona Bean blended with some Millstone Foglifter. What the hell happened to me!! Sadly, I have become a coffee snob. Maxwell House and Folgers get nary a glance. Chock Full 'O Nuts, Yuban and Fransisco have all been banished from my coffee thought processing. Like fondly remembered childhood toys they have all been put away.
But what the hell, we all have to have a vice. And, as vices go this one is fairly benign. So if you'll excuse me I really must go and pick up some Organic sugar and half and half...I have to be up early.

3 comments:

  1. Fairly benign you say? Wait a minute, I thoroughly agree that we are definitely coffee snobs. My trouble is with the word "benign" try buying a coffee not quite so pleasing to the palette and see how benign this vice of ours has become..lol...and by the way we picked up the organic sugar and half and half last weekend...oh, is that why you are already snoring or is that your narcolepsy again..tee hee hee...Love you babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a drinker of brews made from locally roasted, shade grown, organic, fair-trade whole beans, I say, "Cheers!".

    ReplyDelete
  3. You haven't posted since Wednesday! How long before Lucifer makes his claims?

    ReplyDelete